Why you should maintain your humidifier before winter?
The advantages of a controlled humidity level
Healthcare professionals recommend the use of a humidifier to reduce symptoms associated with winter viruses such as colds and flu (cough, sore throat, etc.). In addition, humidity prevents dry skin, eye redness and all the unpleasant sensations associated with it (inflammation, itching, tenderness, red patches, chapped skin, etc.). Finally, an environment with adequate humidity prevents cracking of woodwork and eliminates static electricity. In short, in winter, the best ways to combat dryness in the body are to drink plenty of water, apply nourishing creams or balms ... and use a humidifier!
The dangers of neglect
Be careful, because the benefits of using your humidifier drop dramatically when you fail to maintain it regularly. Indeed, a neglected humidifier can in the long run develop algae and tartar in addition to spreading bacteria ... So, to avoid turning your device into an incubator of microscopic pathogenic organisms, clean it thoroughly this fall by scrupulously following the manufacturer's recommendations. Thereafter, perform at least a weekly maintenance.
Some general advice
- If you own a central humidifier, have it regularly inspected and maintained by a professional.
- Clean or replace the filters according to the manufacturer's recommendations.
- Maintain the ambient humidity level between 30 and 50% (beyond that, the environment becomes conducive to the appearance of molds, fungi and bacteria).
- Change the water every day (demineralized water is preferable).
- Clean the device at least once a week - ideally two - with an appropriate disinfectant (vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, bleach, etc.), then rinse thoroughly.
- Make sure the room where your humidifier is located is well ventilated.
When winter is over and you are ready to store your device, do this :
1. Do not leave water in the tank, otherwise the humidifier could be severely damaged (or even unusable) the following season;
2. Wash, rinse and dry your device completely, strictly following the manufacturer's maintenance instructions;
3. Place the humidifier in its original box (if possible) and store it in a cool, dry place.
At Climatisation B.S., we sell and install various models of humidifiers brands like Lennox, Aprilaire and Honeywell. To make an appointment for an inspection or maintenance, or to purchase replacement filters, don't wait for winter to set in for good : contact us!